What to Look for When Buying a Used Car
When you’re shopping for a used car or certified pre-owned car in the Bloomington area, it might get a little intimidating if you aren’t sure what to look for when buying a used car. The team at Suburban Chevrolet can help! Our years in the auto industry have helped us devise a list of used car buying tips that’ll make the shopping process much easier for you.
Here’s What to Look for When Buying a Used Car
It might be tempting to just look at the physical condition and the odometer when you’re buying a used car in the Minnetonka area, but that would be a bit short-sighted. While both of these factors are important, there are more things to consider when buying a used car. Follow these steps and you’ll be back on Hopkins streets in a new-to-you vehicle in no time!
- Set a Budget: Your budget should take more than the car’s price into consideration. You need to include the costs of ownership which include taxes, insurance, fuel, and maintenance. Ultimately, your monthly car payment should stay under ten percent of your monthly income. Use our payment calculator to figure your budget.
- Find the Right Used Car: The used car should fit your budget, match your mileage expectations, and fit some of the key requirements like the vehicle history report. We’ll cover what else to check for when buying a used car in the next section. Start by compiling a list of cars you’re interested in and compare that to what’s offered at the dealership. Then, spend some time researching the make, model, and model year that interests you. Resources like Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book can help. They have reviews and information about how much similar cars have sold for in your area.
- Test Drive and Inspect the Models: Be sure to thoroughly inspect the vehicle and have it inspected by a trusted mechanic, and take it out for a test drive to verify the performance and how comfortable you are behind the wheel.
- Used Car Financing and Other Fees: Once you’ve found a used car that works, take your time to explore your loan options. When completing the deal you’ll also want to make sure you’re covered with any applicable warranties and car insurance plans.
What to Ask When Buying a Used Car
Here are the must-ask questions you need to bring to your used car salesperson and financial professional:
- Is there a history of maintenance?
- Is the vehicle history report available?
- Do the amenities and features work like they’re supposed to?
- What is the ownership history?
- What is the vehicle’s mileage?
- Are there any current recalls on the vehicle?
- How was the vehicle priced?
- Can I take the car to a mechanic for an inspection?
- Do you have the title in hand?
- Is the car as is, or is it under warranty?
- Does this vehicle affect your insurance premiums?
Get More Used Car Buying Tips at Suburban Chevrolet
Are you ready to hit the lot at Suburban Chevrolet and get your next vehicle, or would you like to learn more about the car-buying process? Pay a visit to our car-buying tips for more information on how to navigate the buying process like a pro!
More from Suburban Chevrolet
Trading in a car is a great way to get two jobs done at once: It’s by far the fastest and easiest way to sell a car you’re no longer driving in Bloomington, plus it’s an easy way to obtain money for the down payment on your next vehicle. Not sure how to trade…
Looking for maximum towing power on Bloomington streets that can handle the Minnesota winter with safety and ease? Then take a look at the heavy-duty 2022 Chevy Silverado towing capacity. Topping out at 18,500 pounds when you choose the diesel engine option, the 2022 Chevy Silverado towing capacity is just what your jobsite needs,…
There’s a good reason that the Chevrolet Silverado is a mainstay of job sites and Bloomington roads alike, and that’s because this powerhouse has a rock-solid reputation for quality. So, just how much can a Chevy Silverado 1500 tow? When properly equipped, you can reach the full 2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 towing capacity maximumof…